What Are Common Causes of Burn Injuries?

Fires are the main cause of burn injuries. When a home or property does not install or maintain smoke detectors, fails to comply with fire codes, or contains poor electrical wiring, fires can easily break out and burn out of control. Scalding burns are the second leading cause of burn injuries, according to the American Burn Association. Scalding injuries can occur when extremely hot water, coffee, or steam makes contact with someone’s skin. Thermal burns can also result in serious injuries. These occur when a person comes into contact with an iron, oven, or other hot surfaces. While electrical and chemical burns are less common, they can cause some of the most severe kinds of burns.


Degrees of Burns

Many people are familiar with the concept of burn degrees but may be unsure of what they actually refer to. First-degree burns damage the outer layer of skin and are considered the least serious kind of burn. Second-degree burns are more dangerous, with damage to both the epidermis and dermis. Finally, third-degree burns extend through all layers of the skin and may cause nerve damage, and fourth-degree burns penetrate all the way to the muscle and bone. Speak with a local burn injury lawyer to learn more.

Types of Burn Injuries

The types of burn injuries in Frisco cases are typically referred to as first, second, or third-degree burns. While most people think of thermal burns, those caused by contact with a hot surface or material, people can suffer these injuries under a variety of circumstances. Other common causes of burn injuries include exposure to electrical wire, extreme cold, hazardous chemicals, and radiation. If you or a loved one sustained a serious burn caused by another person’s negligent actions, you could benefit from speaking with a seasoned injury attorney from the area.

What is the Difference Between First and Second-Degree Burns?

While a first-degree burn may result in some discomfort, a second-degree burn is more akin to blistering. Superficial second-degree burns are often seen with sunburns, though severe second-degree burns can cause more damage. The primary difference between first and second-degree burns are the depth of the injury. A second-degree burn typically goes beneath the initial layer of skin deeper into the epidermis.


Third-degree burns are more serious burns that can be so severe that the person does not even feel pain from them. If someone does not feel pain from a burn, they might have sustained a third-degree burn that has damaged the nerves and should seek medical attention as soon as possible. A burn that is severe enough to damage someone’s nerves is likely severe enough to also damage blood flow to the affected limb. As a result, they are more at risk of infection and many other serious problems.

Fourth Degree

A fourth-degree burn is a different type of full-thickness burn that is so severe that it can consume muscles, ligaments, and even bones. These burns are often deadly, but if someone survives them they will likely suffer from severe impairment and disfigurement.

Background media

How are Different Types of Burn Injuries Treated?

Each type of burn can be serious

The skin is the largest organ of the body, and when it is damaged by even a mild first-degree burn, the rest of the body could be vulnerable to infection. It is important to treat burns and watch them to ensure that they do not develop signs of infection. Burns should also be treated appropriately. People should not put oil-based substances on burns, despite the notion that because it feels soothing it is helpful. If the skin is hot to the touch, all that the oily substance does is cook the flesh.

First Aid

Tepid water should be applied to the affected area initially, followed by increasingly colder water as the burned individual can handle it. Care should be exercised during this process, as the water should not get too cold too quickly or freeze. However, the surface temperature of the burned skin should be cooled down. If someone suffers a third-degree burn or worse, it is extremely important that they are seen by a medical professional in Frisco immediately. Even for those who sustain serious second-degree burns with deep blistering, it is important to see a doctor to make sure that they receive appropriate treatment and avoid unnecessary infections.

Contributory and Comparative Negligence

Under the law, comparative and contributory negligence are two different concepts relevant to burn injury cases. Previously, contributory negligence was a legal concept mandating that injured people might not receive anything if it was decided that their own negligence contributed to their resulting harm. That law was determined to be unfair because it allowed negligent people to ask juries to assign a small percentage of responsibility to victims, in which case the injured party would get nothing. Conversely, comparative negligence accounts for the percentage of responsibility for a particular event, and fault is apportioned between the parties based on the difference in percentage. Under the comparative negligence statutes, fault is apportioned, the damages are totaled, and the injured person receives the defendant’s percentage of fault for causing their accident. For instance, if someone sustains a burn from a motorcycle accident, a jury might determine that the other party was 80 percent responsible for the accident, leaving the burned individual with 20 percent of the fault. In that situation, the defendant would be obligated to pay 80 percent of the person’s injuries, and the remaining 20 percent would go uncompensated. That is called pure comparative negligence.

Banner media

Navigating Comparative Negligence

However, Texas followed modified comparative negligence that states if someone is deemed to be more than 50 percent at fault for their own injury, they cannot recover anything. The legislature determined that if someone is more than half at fault for their own injuries, they should not recover regardless of another party’s percentage of fault. Another comparative negligence issue is joint and several liability, which is when more than one defendant is at fault. An example of this concept might involve two different defendants who are at fault for someone else’s injuries. If one defendant is 20 percent responsible, and the other is 80 percent, this law would require the defendant who is 80 percent responsible to pay 100 percent of the damages and get 20 percent back from the other defendant. This can become even more complicated with more defendants. Therefore, it is helpful to seek guidance from a knowledgeable burn injury lawyer in Frisco.

How Could Someone Pursue Compensation in Frisco?

Compensatory damages may be available for burn victims whose injuries resulted from someone else’s negligence. Economic damages like lost wages and medical bills can be factored into a settlement, as may non-economic costs like pain and suffering. Punitive damages are sometimes awarded when a court deems the defendant exercised gross or wanton negligence. In deadly burn injury accidents, a wrongful death suit may be applicable. Surviving spouses, children, and other relatives may choose to pursue compensation on behalf of the deceased. Such settlements can help families recoup the financial loss of a breadwinner and cover medical and funeral costs. While no amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one, wrongful death settlements can help ensure that the family’s grief is not overshadowed by impending financial stress. A seasoned Frisco burn injury attorney may be able to help you pursue compensation.

Get Assistance from a Frisco Burn Injury Attorney

Burn injuries can forever change your life. Days spent in the sun can be painful for burn victims, as can showering and even being in warm environments. This can make it difficult for victims to hold down jobs and dramatically alter their lifestyles. With the help of a Frisco burn injury lawyer, though, victims could seek justice and work to ensure they are not stuck footing the bill for expensive treatments. If you or someone you love has suffered burn injuries because of someone else’s negligence, consider contacting an experienced attorney as soon as possible.

man with arm in sling filling out forms

Frisco Case Types

Get The Help You Need Contact McCraw Law Group

If you are in need of a personal injury attorney in North Texas, please contact the team at McCraw Law Group today. We are ready to help you in a broad range of serious accident and injury legal issues, and offer multiple ways to reach us.

Get a Free Virtual Consultation
Contact us media
Contact us media
Logo media

If you are in need of a personal injury attorney in North Texas, please contact the team at McCraw Law Group today. We are ready to help you in a broad range of serious accident and injury legal issues, and offer multiple ways to reach us.

Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at (972) 895-5224.