Parker Bus Accident Lawyer 

Parker Bus Accident Lawyer

If you were involved in a collision with a public transportation vehicle, you could have grounds for a civil claim. Discuss the incident with a Parker bus accident lawyer as soon as possible to determine what damages you could potentially collect, such as compensation for medical costs and emotional trauma.

Whether you were a passenger on a common carrier or were struck by a bus while commuting in your own vehicle, you may be eligible for legal recourse. A well-practiced injury attorney could review your case and determine the best course of action to help you reach a favorable resolution.

Reporting Public Transportation Wrecks in Texas

According to Texas Transportation Code § 550.026, the driver of any vehicle must report an accident immediately. If the wreck occurred in a municipality, the driver must contact the local police department. If it happened outside of a municipality, the local sheriff’s office should receive a notification. Failure to report a bus wreck or any vehicle collision where individuals sustained injuries could be harmful to a claimant’s case.

The Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code § 16.003 gives the driver, passenger, pedestrian, or another involved party involved in a bus crash two years to file an accident claim with the help of a local attorney. Failure to file a claim before this legal deadline expires could result in the dismissal of the case.

Government-Owned Common Carriers

Accidents involving common carrier vehicles could occur for several reasons. Generally, these accidents occur due to human error, such as:

  • Driver fatigue
  • Distracted driving
  • Defective bus parts
  • Incorrect or lacking bus maintenance
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, or prescription medication

If the accident involved a government-owned bus, such as a public or school bus, the claimant has the right to sue the government for damages under the Texas Tort Claims Act. Enacted in 1969, it allows claimants to file lawsuits against local, city, or state governments. The act includes damages caps, depending on the entity getting sued. If the bus wreck was caused by a local government-owned bus was not properly maintained, damages cannot exceed $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident. If the accident occurred because of city or state government negligence, the damage limit is $250,000 per person and $300,000 per collision. An experienced attorney in Parker could investigate the cause of the bus crash to determine if a government entity is responsible.

Establishing Bus Driver Negligence

Both private and government-owned bus collision claims require claimants to prove bus driver negligence. In other words, they must show that the driver’s duty of care was breached and directly resulted in the claimant’s injuries. A bus driver could breach their duty of care by behaving negligently, such as by consuming alcohol on the job, running red lights, or operating a defective vehicle.

The Texas Tort Claims Act requires claimants in government bus accident cases to prove that injuries were caused by either a bus defect or operation-related issues. A claimant and a Parker attorney must also show that the defendant, or driver, would be personally liable for the bus crash if the vehicle was not government property.

Review Your Bus Crash Case with a Parker Attorney

The impact of a bus collision often takes time to overcome. If you were involved in a crash recently, you may benefit from discussing your case with a Parker bus accident lawyer. An experienced attorney could help you obtain compensation to cover medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Call our law firm today to get started on your case.

McCraw Law Group

McCraw Law Group N/a
McKinney Office
5900 S Lake Forest Dr.
Suite 450
TX 75070
Get Directions
(972) 854-7900
Denton Office
903 N. Elm Street,
Suite 103
TX 76201
Get Directions
(940) 808-0405
Wylie Office
101 Calloway St
TX 75098
Get Directions
Frisco Office
9555 Lebanon Rd
Suite 601
TX 75035
Get Directions
(972) 842-4537