Denton Car Accident Lawyer

If you were involved in a car accident and suffered injuries as a result, a Denton car accident lawyer may help you recover compensation for your injuries.

Denton personal injury lawyers have years of experience handling automobile accident cases and understand the unique challenges that come along with each car accident lawsuit or claim. A dedicated attorney would advocate vigorously on behalf of those injured by someone else’s negligence and can advocate for your best interests and fight for your rights to be adequately compensated for your injuries. En Español.

Injuries That Result from Car Accidents

Types of injuries that can occur in car accidents include:

  • Whiplash
  • Fractures
  • Burns
  • Internal Bleeding
  • Paralysis
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Neck injury

If a person is experiencing these or other injuries, they should, first and foremost, be treated by a qualified medical professional. After treatment, however, it is beneficial to contact a Denton car accident lawyer as soon as possible to prevent losing evidence.

What Vehicle Wreck Evidence Needs Documented?

Oftentimes, the first few items an attorney reviews are medical reports, police reports, and any other documentation from the accident scene. For this reason, anyone involved in a car crash should try to obtain the names, identifications, and license plate numbers of all drivers, passengers and bystanders. If possible, taking photographs of the scene is helpful as it provides evidence a lawyer may be able to use.  Based on a review of all materials, a car wreck attorney in Denton can advise a victim on all possible courses of action.

Car accidents can be complicated matters due to the number of parties that may be involved, especially when multiple vehicles are involved in a single accident. In addition, in some accidents both parties involved may have contributed to causing the accident. Under Texas law, if an individual is 50 percent or less at fault for the accident, they can recover damages.

While the victim is recovering from injuries, a Denton car accident lawyer can help facilitate communication between all parties, such as insurance companies and other drivers, to try and reach a settlement.

How Does Comparative Negligence Impact a Car Crash Case?

Texas follows the modified comparative negligence rule, meaning if a claimant is 51 percent or more at fault for their own injuries, they are unable to recover compensation. If they are 50 percent or less at fault than the defendant, they can recover a reduced award.

For example, if the defendant was found 80 percent at-fault by the jury, and the plaintiff was found 20 percent at-fault, under the modified comparative negligence statute, the jury would then find the total amount of damages, and then the judge would reduce the judgment by the percent fault of the plaintiff. If the total damage amount was $100,000.00, but they claimant is 20 percent responsible, then the judge would reduce that verdict down to $80,000.00.

Now, it gets more complicated when there are multiple defendants. There is a unique area of Texas law called joint and several liability, and it can make defendants responsible for more than just their amount of responsibility found by the jury if they are found to be more than 50 percent at-fault.

For instance, if there are two defendants and one is found to be 20 percent responsible and the other defendant is found to be 80 percent at-fault, and the plaintiff is found to be zero percent at fault, under Chapter 33 of the Civil Practice and Remedies Code, the defendant who was more responsible would have to pay all of the damages. That defendant would then have a claim against the co-defendant for their portion of the damage claim.

When Filing a Wrongful Death Suit Becomes Relevant

A car accident can cause critical personal injuries or even death in some cases. In Texas, a spouse, parent, or child may file a wrongful death lawsuit. Unfortunately, other family members do not have legal standing to file this type of lawsuit on a loved one’s behalf.

How a Denton Car Accident Attorney Could Help

Before going to trial, car accident lawyers work persistently to reach a settlement out of court. They know that a full-length trial can be costly and time and consuming, and every effort is made to avoid this course of action.

However, it is not always possible to resolve a matter outside of court. If a lawsuit is necessary, a team of attorneys is fully prepared to argue for a favorable outcome for potential clients. Call a Denton car accident lawyer to schedule an appointment for your case evaluation.

Free Consultation
Reviews
Denton Car Accident Lawyer
ACCIDENTS